IPBES belgian UPTAKE EVENT
On 1st October 2018, the IPBES Belgian Focal Point organised the 'IPBES Belgian Uptake Event'.
The objectives of the meeting were to:
- Present the status of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) Work Programme, adopted products and the next steps
- Learn about the findings and policy recommendations of the newly available IPBES Assessments, with focus on the Regional assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services for Europe and Central Asia (i.e. ECA Assessment: see the Summary for Policy-makers)
- Discuss how Belgian actors, sectors and initiatives can act upon these new findings
- Formulate ambitions and concrete actions and follow-up in the context of international commitments
- Learn about how Belgian experts engage in ongoing IPBES assessments
The programme of the day was a mixture of presentations, panel discussion, and break-out groups.
The presentations given on the day of the meeting are now available:
- Morning session
Introduction of the day by Hilde Eggermont, IPBES Belgian Focal Point
Opening remarks by the Belgian Federal Service by Pierre Biot, Federal Public Service Health, Food Chain Safety & Environment; Head of Unit - DG Environment
State of Play of the IPBES by Thomas Koetz, Head of Work Programme for the IPBES Secretariat
Presentation of the Europe and Central Asia Regional (ECA) assessment by Prof. Mark Rounsevell, Co-Chair of the ECA assessment, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Afternoon session
Brussels introduction, by Etienne Aulotte - Chef de service, Coordination Plan Nature - Bruxelles Environnement
Flanders introduction, by Steven Vanonckelen - Policy Officer Business and Biodiversity - Departement Omgeving
Wallonia introduction, by Laura Maebe - Université de Liège
A report of the meeting will soon be available on this page.
The IPBES Belgian Uptake event took place at Herman Teirlinck building in Brussels.
For more information on the outputs of the meeting, please contact Dr Hilde Eggermont, IPBES Belgian Focal Point.
© Photo (banner): Verdronken land van Saeftinge, Flanders - BELGIUM - By Yves Adams - purchased on ©VILDA vildaphoto.net