The Belgian Biodiversity Platform is seeking a science officer (m/f/x) for biodiversity science-policy communication, 1 year contract, full time, at our office at the Royal Belgian Institute for Natural Sciences. The Belgian Biodiversity Platform (BBPF) is a science-policy interface body funded by the Belgian Science Policy Office (BELSPO) and is supported by a Cooperation Agreement between the federal and concerned federated authorities. Within the field of biodiversity, it acts as a broker between policy, science and practice. We are presently seeking to hire a full time science officer to work on communication activities for a 1-year period.
She/He will be engaged for implementing the Platform communication strategy, developing related scientific communication tools/activities, and providing scientific support to the Platform science-policy and networking activities such as it’s topical issues. She/he will be under the supervision of the BBPF Operational Coordinator/Communication Coordinator.
- Participating in the strategic communication and visibility of BBPF internally and externally
- Create and publish content on Platform social media and Platform website
- Keeping the Platform website up to date and monitoring use
- Producing, disseminating and updating the Platform ‘Biodiversity Newsflash’.
- Maintaining and updating the website contents using the CMS developed by the Platform webmaster
- Supporting the organisation of science-policy meetings and events
- Lead and take forward a topical project when needed
- Providing scientific support to the Platform science policy and networking activities such as data entry and ad hoc tasks as required.
- Support different requests and queries from various Platform experts
- Supporting the BBPF Operational Coordinator with reporting and analysis
MSc in science, biology, communication, public relations, or journalism.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time, each with its own specific needs.
- Excellent networking and communication skills :
- Enthusiasm and having the ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Some experience in science communication and or with data management
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, organisation and facilitation is a strong advantage.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Basic knowledge: Word / Pages, Excel, Powerpoint ;
- Ability to create and design engaging communication tools.
- Genuine interest in and enthusiasm for biodiversity research and policy ;
- Flexibility, ability to adapt quickly to new issues, proactive attitude, self-motivation ;
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, take initiative and to exhibit self- motivation.
Excellent mastery of English spoken and written ( graphics hardware, communication ) and knowledge base of French and Dutch ( for communication with external colleagues)
- A short-term contractual position of 1 year (replacement employment contract, starting 1st September) based at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences in Brussels.
- Salary and conditions according to the conditions applicable at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences for a contractual agent of class SW1 of the scientific career.
How to apply
Interested persons are invited to send their CV as well as a cover letter and if possible a portfolio with examples of graphic or previous communication achievements, no later than Sept 15th, 2021 to Divija Jata, Operational Coordinator for the Belgian Biodiversity Platform, by email : firstname.lastname@example.org .
Interviews will take place in September. Start of work : preferably on 1st November 2021.
We are looking for an IT expert to assist the Data team and ensure continuity of our IT services (web development, data cleaning, transformation & publication, training, sysadmin, ...)
Join our exciting work environment with a multidisciplinary team and a great opportunity to acquire state- of-the-art data/IT skills.
Official announcement will be made in the very near future. If you are interested and would already like to receive more information please contact email@example.com