The Belgian Community of Practice on Biodiversity & Health is composed of members representing various fields:
- Science: universities and governmental scientific institutes; health-, ecological- and social science
- Policy: federal, regions, provinces, cities; health-, environmental-, nature- and land planning policy
- Consultants: policy advice, eco-therapy, education
- NGOs: nature protection, landscape development, ecological life and gardening
The Community was established as a follow-up of the 2011 Belgian Biodiversity & Health conference organised by the Belgian Biodiversity Platform.
The goal of the Community is to:
- Build a strong network and stimulate capacity building
- Produce an overview of the current state of Belgian knowledge regarding Biodiversity and Public Health
- Respond to the demands of policy makers and stakeholders regarding Biodiversity and Public Health expertise at a Belgian level, as well as the international level; in the context of the establishment of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES).
The Belgian Biodiversity Platform initiated the conference on Biodiversity and Public Health and is now supporting and coordinating the Belgian Community of Practice on Biodiversity and Health.
The Belgian Biodiversity Platform provides services to the Belgian scientific community engaged in biodiversity research.
It is a Belgian Federal Science Policy Office (BelSPO) initiative that works in cooperation with Belgian federated authorities.
For more information, visit http://www.biodiversity.be