IPBES: Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
The fifth session of the Plenary of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES 5) was held from 7 to 10 March 2017 at the World Conference Centre in Bonn, Germany.
It was preceded by a Stakeholder Day which provided an opportunity for interested organizations to receive updates on IPBES, discuss their engagement with the IPBES 5 Agenda and prepare positions on key issues (see report).
During IPBES 5, delegates took decisions on:
- Capacity building, policy support tools and methodologies
- The enhanced participation of the EU in its capacity of observer in IPBES Plenary sessions
- The scoping report for a thematic assessment on sustainable use of wild species
- Review of the Platform
- Process for developing the Platform's second Work Programme (beyond 2018)
- Approach for integrating Indigenous and Local Knowledge systems
- A "medium-sized" budget for 2017-2018 allowing for IPBES operations to continue (but not for the initiation of the pending assessments)
- The dates, venues and agendas of IPBES-6 and IPBES-7
A draft report is available online and the official IPBES-5 report will soon be published.